Published Research (for working papers/further work see my CV and contact me)
PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
(1) Initial Job Match Quality and Labor Market Transitions: Evidence from Mexican Informal and Formal Labor Markets, with Emily Conover and Sarah Pearlman. Accepted Journal of Development Studies.
(2) Declining Outmigration and Local Labor Markets, with Emily Conover and Sarah Pearlman. Forthcoming Journal of Human Resources, pre-print available on journal website.
(3) Gender Imbalances and Labor Market Outcomes: Evidence from Large-Scale Mexican Migration, with Emily Conover and Sarah Pearlman, IZA Journal of Migration and Development, 2021, 12.
(4) Environment Matters: New Evidence From Mexican Migration, with Xiyue Li, Applied Economics Letters, 2020, 27, 168-173.
(5) Women Make Houses, Women Make Homes, with Mevlude Akbulut-Yuksel and Mutlu Yuksel, Labour Economics, 2017, 49, 145-161. (new title and substantially revised from working paper: ‘Rubble Women: The Long-Term Effects of Postwar Reconstruction on Female Labor Market Outcomes’ (IZA DP No.6148)).
(6) For Better or for Worse: The Long-Term Effects of Postwar Reconstruction on Family Formation, with Mevlude Akbulut-Yuksel and Mutlu Yuksel, Applied Economics, 2016, 48:29, 2771-2784.
(7) Convergences in Men’s and Women’s Life Patterns: Lifetime Work, Lifetime Earnings and Human Capital Investment, with Joyce Jacobsen and Mutlu Yuksel, Research in Labor Economics, 2015, 41, 1-33.
(8) Does the minimum wage have a higher impact on the informal than on the formal labor market? Evidence from quasi-experiments, Applied Economics, 2013, 45:4, 477-495.
(9) Is informal sector work an alternative to workfare benefits? The case of pre-program expansion and economic crisis, Review of Development Economics, 2012, 16:4, 579–593.
(10) Consumption and Social Identity: Evidence from India, with Nishith Prakash and Zahra Siddique, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 2012, 83, 353– 371.
(11) The Persistence of Informality: Evidence from Panel Data, with Aslan Akay, Research in Labor Economics, 2012, 34, 229–255.
(12) A Note on Informality in the Labor Market, Journal of International Development, 2012, 24, 894–908.
OTHER PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
(13) Formalization of jobs and firms in emerging economies, May 2014, IZA World of Labor.
(14) Ethnic Fragmentation, Conflict, Displaced Persons and Human Trafficking: An Empirical Analysis (with Randall Akee, Arnab Basu and Nancy Chau), in Gil S. Epstein and Ira N. Gang eds., Migration and Culture, Frontiers of Economics and Globalization, Volume 8, Emerald Publishing, 2010.
(15) Crisis and Recovery in Argentina: Labor market, poverty, inequality and pro-poor growth dynamics, in Stephan Klasen and Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann eds., Poverty, Inequality and Migration in Latin America, Peter Lang Verlag, 2008.